Over the years, a lot of people have ventured into blogging and it has become increasingly easy with platforms like WordPress. Now, the problem has moved from starting a blog but to keep it running and driving traffic to the blog. A lot of people erroneously believe that they need to be experts at marketing to promote their blog and increase blog traffic. That is not necessary. There are other means to easily increase the traffic to your blog and get more visitors. These methods are proven best practices and are practical.
Define your Audience
You do not want to create fashion content for an IT audience. Therefore, before you start churning out the content for your blog, you must understand who your target audience is. Take your time to discover and understand what your audience wants and is looking for. To determine what your audience wants and to build your audience file, you could use the following tips.
- Ask yourself who your audience is? In doing this consider age, gender, occupation, etc.
- What are the common challenges they are facing and how can you provide solutions?
- What type of content will appeal to them and be useful to them?
- What is the best way they would consider in solving the problems they are facing?
Defining your audience file and building their profiles is also known as creating a buying persona. The audience profile can also be referred to as a buyer persona.
Conduct Keyword Research and use the Keywords in your Site
SEO experts and content creators utilize keyword research to drive traffic to their sites. Keyword research is utilized to find certain expressions- words, phrases, sentences- that people type regularly on various search engines. This would help to know the content users search for more often. The norm is to rely on instincts and guesses to create content. This is ineffective and could go both ways. It is ineffective because relying on guesses and assumptions means that you are going to have a lot of unutilized blog posts because nobody or very few people are in search of the content. This case could also be reversed when you use keywords that have too much competition. In other words, you want to optimize keywords that are used often but you do not want to use keywords that too many people have written about.
The benefits of conducting keyword research and utilizing it are numerous. Some of the benefits are:
- You will be able to know the exact topics and terms people are searching for and therefore tailor your blog to fit those keywords
- You will be able to develop interesting and unique content for the keywords that suit your expertise.
- Through the keywords research, you will be able to read and learn from other bloggers. This gives you an edge over your competitors because you know how to up your ante and create better content.
Create Content Regularly
As great as defining your audience and using keywords are, they are useless without your content. Having a blog automatically means that you have to write. However, it is not limited to just writing at your convenience. You have to develop a writing schedule and be consistent with the schedule. Bloggers, who are determined to build and increase the traffic on their blog, do not build write and post content as a hobby. Writing has to become your job for you if you are serious about increasing traffic. The way to get recognition and build a reputation is by ensuring that your content is out there at the time you have chosen. All other methods of driving traffic to your blog are dependent on this how consistent you are with your content.
It is important to clarify that the need to create and post content consistently should go hand in hand with creating engaging, insightful, and useful content. As a blogger, quality should never be sacrificed for anything. Users are in search of useful and quality content. The quality of your blog posts determines how well you retain readers and the retained readers are your greatest advertisement because they would refer to your work.
Optimize SEO tools
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) are tools that can be utilized to make your blog search engine friendly. Using SEO to improve your website/blog does not require you to have a high level of expertise in SEO. You do not need to hire an expert to handle SEO for your blog or website. You can utilize a lot of SEO tools and plugins and tutorials to be able to handle the SEO for your blog. Yoast SEO plugin is a great optimization tool to use for WordPress websites. Yoast is one of the most comprehensive optimization tools.
Use internal Linking
One way to drive traffic to your blog is to link your blog posts. As soon as you are confident about your content, then ensure that you find a way to link one blog post to your other related blog posts. It is crucial to link to some of your articles from your already existing blog posts. This is known as internal linking and it helps to optimize your website. Some of the benefits of internal linking are:
- You build a connection and relationship between your articles. This helps Google to understand the context and connection between your articles. This information will then be used to rank signals.
- It is easier and better to have internal links than to ask other websites to link to your blog. Therefore, to save yourself that stress, use internal links effectively
- It would help to increase the number of views on your page and it would also reduce the bounce rate. Please bear in mind that internal links do not work like magic. You need to place them strategically and to fit the context.
Starting a blog has become easy but driving and building traffic on your WordPress blog may not be so easy. However, we have made it easier for you with this article by highlighting some of the most effective ways to increase traffic on your WordPress blog.